Online Reputation and Management
Online Reputation and Management is definitely a game changer in today’s era. There were days when the World was not this digitized. When people very smartly managed their brands, companies and personal profile with someone as little of tech savvy as the “Gate-keeper”. This was possible because then the only way to know better about a Company or a person was through References or reviews which could easily be molded as per one’s will. But now, in today’s era of highly active web savvies, Online Reputation and Management holds great importance personally and professionally.
Understanding Online Reputation and Management
If we go by definition then Online Reputation and Management is the operation to control and manage the information which shows up when someone searches for your details on the Internet. For this process the Online Reputation Managers will push and promote the desired positive content to the top of the search results page, thereby pushing the uncalled for content far enough to make sure your search results are only occupied with positive content.
Do you really need to Manage your Online Reputation?
Considering that we live in a Digital world, the question should be rephrased to “How should the Online Reputation be managed?”. Wondering why? Here’s the direct answer to it; you can be an individual or a brand, but the risk of drawing resentment from haters online cannot and should not be ruled out. And as they say “ No point digging a well, when the house is already on fire.” you should be ready beforehand to face and curb the negative reviews posted online. Many image conscious organizations and individuals have already introduced a protocol of Online Reputation and Management as a mandatory program to promote them online.
Who are Online Reputation Managers and what do they do?
Online Reputation and Management is handled by professionals who can be Public Relations guru or Search Engine Optimization experts who are proficient in reconstructing the online presence of an individual or a brand. They achieve this by concealing negative reviews and pushing the desired positive image forward.
Why Businesses need to build Online Reputation?
Do you build you reputation using any of the below:
- Mass Emailing
- Cold calling
If the answer is in Yes, then you can’t deny the fact that it’s not working as strong as it used to work earlier. This is because as soon as a prospect hears about you, he will
- Search you online &
- Look for Reviews According to a survey published in New York Times, 84% favor the fact the Online Presence does impact the buying. Well, the mass says it all.
What’s in it for Individuals?
The internet has it’s own pros and cons. While the pros are well known to almost everyone, one of the cons is negative indulgence of haters in online profile. If you are speculating why would someone do that, here are a few reasons. An angry or jealous acquaintance trying to bring you down; or an ex-employee’s revenge as you fired him and more such reasons.
Online reputation management holds importance even if you are not a business. Most of the life dealings now start with “Google”, and so it’s noticeable for employers to conduct searches on you. The silence in the search results is a wake up alarm for you to make your online profile speak all the right words.
We’re progressively living in a digitized world where friends, employers and customers find us primarily via internet. So, it becomes crucial that your online presence is accurate and positive, and on the first page of the search results. To understand better, let’s say that you are an Interior Decorator. Now, if you are searched online and identified as credible Interior Decorator then you have a convincing profile. But if someone hunts you, and finds someone else with skating as an interest, that’s not beneficial for you. On the other hand, if all they can find is that you’re interested in playing basketball, that’s not good, either.
So it’s not necessarily about concealing the negative, but also about emphasize the positive and personal branding.
DIY rules of Online Reputation Management
Considering the importance of managing online reputation one can take small but powerful track to build a positive online profile. Start out with these basal online reputation management rules.
- Search yourself online to see what others are seeing when they check you out online.
- Do not create a mess of your profile as anything you post, even privately, can be circulated online.
- Control all important personal or professional online accounts, before someone else does.
- Mug up the mantra “What’s gone online, never dies”. Long forgotten silly post can harm you many many years later. Be aware.
- Avoid turbulence, online and offline. Don’t give a reason to anyone to post something bad about you.
- Build profile using your real name, this increases the chances of someone finding you in their hope to search you.
- Stay active online, but keep it professional and appreciative.
- Create flattering and positive content, something that you would be pleased for others to find. It will pay off gradually by overpowering the results that are less appealing.
- Reflect your persona when you write something online. The vocab need not be extraordinary but the grammar should be perfect and a professional reflection of your persona.
- A picture speaks a thousand words – show them what you got along with telling them about it in words.
- Link your profile with relevant and positive content. Trick Google by telling it what you really want to share. This can be done by linking to it from your online profiles and domains.
In a crux, in the Online world and otherwise, negative reviews, posts and comments harm you big time. You decide if you are alright with your reputation or profits going down. Or, you can work on your online reputation just like you manage everything else in your personal and professional space and track for success. Actual SEO Media is the central to make that certain.