Social bookmarking is one of the most effective ways to find great content. Although it’s important, we’ve noticed that there is very little conversation surrounding it. There are all sorts of things you could do with the information you find on social bookmarking sites. Whether you want to know the newest industry fad or find a competitor to beat out, you can get it from one of these sources.
So, how can you get started? We’re here to give you the full rundown on this incredibly essential aspect of digital marketing so you can make the most out of your marketing strategy.
WHAT ARE SOCIAL BOOKMARKS?
Before we dive into the details, let’s start with the basics; what are social bookmarks? These are essentially web pages and various forms of social media that host online communities. People within these social networks are constantly sharing, creating, and discussing the content they find interesting. This can come in any form; blog posts, photos, videos, etc. Regardless, you need to be aware of these online communities where users are continuously expressing their interests.
Why is this so important, anyway? Popular social bookmarking sites are literally hubs of information for you as a marketer and/or business owner. Some people only rely on basic social media resources – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. – for this info. Little do they know, there is so much more to be found outside of that.
SOCIAL BOOKMARKING TOOLS
We’ve already listed a few bookmarking services, but here’s a few more to look into. After all, you can never have too much insight into your industry’s most recent buzz.
- Reddit: you’re likely familiar with Reddit already, but we want to reiterate how big this platform is. There are currently 330 million users that are currently active. There are all sorts of interesting content in the form of threads. Thanks to this feature, people are able to join any community and dive into interesting content of their choice.
- Pinterest: this is another trendy social bookmarking tool to use. People love it for its visual aesthetic and simplicity. Everything you’re looking for is presented to you in the form of either a picture or an infographic. This format also makes it incredibly easy to link a product to a website or social media page, which automatically ups your brand awareness.
- Medium: Medium is ideal if you’re looking to appeal to readers. If you have lots of information to offer, don’t be afraid to experiment with this. An audience that is willing and ready to learn will flock to your content with no hesitation – give them one or two nuggets of info and convince them to come to you for the details.
- Mix/StumbleUpon: formerly known as StumbleUpon, Mix is essentially a rabbit-hole of information. You can find any articles that cover any topic from endless sources. Even better, you can choose to save them in your own carefully curated collection or share them with others. Like many other platforms, Mix makes it easy to network with people that have the exact same interests as you.
- Scoop.It: this is another amazing tool that helps you curate content, and it has its own unique approach. You can read up on any topic – from data visualization to real estate – and you also get to refine your search more precisely. This pulls content from original sources and smaller blogs, which is just as important as knowing what the big guys are up to. Go ahead and give both Mix and Scoop.It a go for a well-rounded understanding of what’s current.
These sites are pretty invaluable. Most people turn to a simple Google search for the things they’re looking for. This isn’t a bad thing to do (it’s quite the opposite), but you’re oftentimes missing out on key information that can be found in unexpected places. Don’t be afraid to take that extra step to learn more about relevant and shared content – you’ll see it pay off in the end.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A SOCIAL BOOKMARKING SITE
Now that you know where to go for this information, what exactly are you looking for?
That ultimately depends on your brand, your products, and your overall mission. What is the purpose of your company? Which product or service are you selling? What does your audience expect from someone selling this type of produce? Is something missing from your industry that you can start providing? (Pro-tip: the answer to that question is always yes.) There are infinite questions to ask and infinite answers, all of which are available to you through social bookmarking sites.
At least, the surface-level answer will be something you can find. Once you learn how to cover the basics, you’ll need to go even further into the rabbit hole to discover new information. If this research process isn’t already taking up your time and energy, this next step is going to take some money.
This is where the team at Actual SEO Media, Inc. can really step in and transform your marketing strategy and experience. We’re the experts that provide all-around services that will drive your brand to success. We deep-dive into all this information and more. You’ll get everything from well-rounded reports to advice on the best SEO practices. Feel free to ask someone from our Houston office to help you tackle this effectively.
OTHER ASPECTS OF SEO
As useful as social bookmarking websites are, you need to be well-versed in other areas of marketing and SEO. It’d be a waste to have all that information just to misuse it. There’s a careful and strategic way to go about everything, from your social media to your own blogs.
The first square is always keywords. If you’re not already familiar with these, they’re basically a way to make your brand more visible to search engines, like Google. Finding your way up the ranks can be difficult, but if you have a good SEO strategy, you’ll slowly see yourself start to climb up there.
There’s a lot that goes into keywords- just like with anything else, you have to do your research. The popularity of these words changes often; sometimes it’s from year to year, other times it’s more month to month. Regardless, you have to fuse this with information about your audience to determine how to get their attention.
Keywords fuel nearly any other marketing aspect you could think of, one of the most important being social media. You should do what you can to integrate these words into your posts. Make sure the language flows fluently and eloquently, so you don’t lose your audience mid-post.
There’s definitely more to social media than your carefully-chosen set of keywords. You also have to consider visuals: do your social media pages follow a consistent theme? Do the colors work well together? Putting together a notable aesthetic is going to attract your audience. Many people are still ignoring this – granted, this didn’t use to be important. It used to be okay to throw basic pieces of information together and leave it at that. Nowadays, this isn’t the case. It’s just as important to make sure your brand is just as appealing online as it would be in real life. Otherwise, you could make certain potential customers turn away without giving your company a second look.
We’re sure that by now, you understand the significance of content. This is what showcases the things you can offer to a consumer. With that in mind, you need to be sure that everything you put out there is of the best quality.
Content covers a range of topics – let’s take written work, such as blog posts and articles. As nice as it is to throw keywords in a caption or two for your social media page, you’ll also need to give your website a little love. Providing onlookers with plenty of information on topics that are relevant to your industry is one of the best ways to get attention.
Be careful with this – many companies think that throwing anything together will get the job done. In reality, you need to produce pertinent written content that gives a customer insight into something new. The most effective way to do this is to make your audience think about things they either wouldn’t have thought of or haven’t thought about at all. In other words, you need to create something that’s actually useful to them. If they can’t use what you’re writing about, they’re just going to leave your webpage in search of better results.
Think about this in terms of purchasing a product. Under most circumstances, you’re going to buy something that is appealing or functional for something you either need to do or potentially could do. It serves some sort of purpose – whether that purpose is explicit or implicit – but all products have one. The same idea applies to every type of content you decide to post on the internet.
The last important aspect of SEO is analysis. You did all this work to create a strategy, and you’ve put it into play, but now what? You need to measure performance.
This is where a lot of small business owners trip up. Analyzing the data you get from social media and SEO requires certain tools and skills. The team at Actual SEO Media, Inc. will make this seem like an absolute breeze. Don’t make this any more difficult than it needs to be – instead, come to us so we can help you make educated marketing decisions the first time around. Don’t be afraid to ask one of our specialists how we can help you with your social bookmarks – call (832) 834-0661 and we’ll get your free consultation done in no time.